To Be or Not To Be

A little kingdom I possess,
Where thoughts and feelings dwell;
And very hard the task I find
Of governing it well.
-- Louisa May Alcott.
...........hmmm....that more or less describes my situation !!

~A Wise Man Said~

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
-- Aristotle

~My Photo Blog~

  ...Worth a Thousand Words

Monday, January 07, 2002
 
Matter Of Belief

There are certain things I very much care to know about people; not all people, only those whom I come a lot in contact with or those who interest me for one reason or another.

The first is the sun sign, second is belief in a higher power. There are of course, third, fourth, fifth and a number of other things but for the present, I don't intend to discuss them.

It is not an uncommon question these days: "Do you believe in astrology?" There are those who will say they believe in it and those who will say they don't (as if it were a matter of personal faith). Of course, some will merely say a "can't say", but these I think are the kind of people who cannot be trusted to have an opinion on any matter whatsoever.

What I find funny is that no one will ever ask if there is anything in astrology worth the believing. Those who are on its side are happy enough with the goods it delivers (or I presume they would have changed parties) and those who are on the other side can't imagine how anyone could entertain the absurd idea that a planet somewhere in the heavens can make you sad and morose here.

I for one could do with knowing how, ie, if the poor planet actually is the unfortumate cause.

To this day I haven't learnt but that is not to say I have stopped trying. For the most part, so I like to think, it's fun and no harm done. But I can't deny it's beginning to have a subtle (or maybe not so subltle) influence on me. The moment someone says that he or she belongs to the star sign Gemini or Libra or say, Aries, I'm visibly dissapointed (especially if I was particularly keen on the person). I also tend to observe an emotional distance after digesting this little piece of information. And conversely, If I learn the person is a Taurean or Scorpion or Piscean, it's difficult not to feel a certain warmth towards the angelic creature. I tell myself it's this compatibility thing, it's written in the stars and you can't deny the way it is.

Men who know about my star sign fetish sometimes like to know what I think about their star sign. Someone once happened to ask me the question "so what do you think of Aries men? ' I couldn't stop myself from saying 'I don't think about them'. Needless to say, he was very much put out.

My second question is never treated lightly. Most people know where they are going here (I'm quite clueless). Some have no doubts in the existence of a supreme authority, they're lucky enough to have all questions answered and are all the more happier for it. Some equally vehemently deny the existence of God. Infact, they cannot possibly imagine a God quietly sitting in the heavens and directing our moves like a smart chess player. The very idea seems to defy practical thought (so they say).

I wouldn't know either ways. My business it is to find out, but here again, I've found nothing.

Neither do I find a quiet assurance within myself that good always prevails over evil, so there must be a God; nor can I accept the extremely scientific idea that we've emerged from slime and will end in it one day.

Nevertheless, when I come upon people who are ready to treat this question as skeptically as I do, again, I cannot help feeling the aforementioned warmth. It's like finding partners in a journey or a common quest; I like to think of it as a quest for 'truth', not what is popularly known or percieved as truth, but the truth we are ready to discover for ourselves.

Maybe it has something to do with the stars..........after all, those with compatible signs are supposed to think alike, aren't they??