To Be or Not To Be

A little kingdom I possess,
Where thoughts and feelings dwell;
And very hard the task I find
Of governing it well.
-- Louisa May Alcott.
...........hmmm....that more or less describes my situation !!

~A Wise Man Said~

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
-- Aristotle

~My Photo Blog~

  ...Worth a Thousand Words

Saturday, February 02, 2002
 
A good conscience is a sign of bad memory...............

So I've heard.

I dare say not all people who pride themselves on their conscience suffer from weak memories. But you can't discount the possibility, can you?

"Ethical sensitivity is a precursor to moral judgment, in that a person must recognize the existence of an ethical problem before such a problem can be resolved."

This makes sense, I would say, though it took me a minute to understand what it meant. If one lacks the ability (to use a milder word) to differentiate between right and wrong, one definitely is not in a position to choose. And when one chooses in good faith (albeit wrongly), one definitely does not develop the symptoms of a troubled conscience.

Then there's something called "Confabulation". The term sounds more complicated than it actually is. The Skeptic's Dictionary describes it as "a fantasy that has unconsciously replaced fact in memory. It may be based partly on fact or be a complete construction of the imagination."

How it can be used to achieve a favourable frame of conscience is anybody's guess. I start remembering a version of the story that suits me best and after a time it becomes real enough for me.

There are other explanations to a good conscience, of course, and happily, not all of them perverse ones. Another cause to be happy is, I won't be getting into them !!