To Be or Not To Be

A little kingdom I possess,
Where thoughts and feelings dwell;
And very hard the task I find
Of governing it well.
-- Louisa May Alcott.
...........hmmm....that more or less describes my situation !!

~A Wise Man Said~

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
-- Aristotle

~My Photo Blog~

  ...Worth a Thousand Words

Thursday, February 14, 2002
 
Where both deliberate, the love is slight;
Who ever lov'd, that lov'd not at first sight?
-- Christopher Marlowe.

I don't believe in love at first sight. Infact, not even at second, third or fourth sighting, for that matter. The definition of "love" in my book wouldn't allow of such a stand. I can't even begin to understand how two people lock eyes with each other for the first time and deem it 'love' without hesitation. From what I've heard, it's possible for one to feel such chemistry with atleast 250 out of a 1000 people. (excuse me, if I've botched up the statistics but that's the general idea).

To me, love comes out of a deeper understanding. The attraction must be there, of course, but unless there's something deeper than that, something that goes below the surface, I do not think such 'love' (if one chooses to call it that), can last long.

I'll explain what I mean. Some people may connect with me on a purely physical level, some might connect on a purely intellectual level, and some on an emotional level (I will not get into the spiritual). I wouldn't call it love for all that.

But, if a person can reach out to me on all three of these points: physical, intellectual and emotional; if his touch excites me, if his thoughts find an echoing response in my words, if we can feel for the same things as much as we can feel for each other, (a spiritual bond would not be as simple to define); Well, here’s a basis for everlasting love, I would say.

Not one of these ties is any less important than the others, I feel, though some might think so. I believe that when any one of them is missing, a void is left, which is felt sooner or later. (Man is a giddy thing, don’t they say?)

This is not a topic I usually harp on, but what with it being Valentine's Day, I couldn't resist giving my own little take on the elusive emotion called "love".

Here's wishing everyone a Happy Valentine's Day;
And, may the love of your life soon cross your way !