To Be or Not To Be

A little kingdom I possess,
Where thoughts and feelings dwell;
And very hard the task I find
Of governing it well.
-- Louisa May Alcott.
...........hmmm....that more or less describes my situation !!

~A Wise Man Said~

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
-- Aristotle

~My Photo Blog~

  ...Worth a Thousand Words

Wednesday, December 14, 2005
 
I have a particular quote as part of my default signature in hotmail:
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum (I think that I think, therefore I think that I am.)
-- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary.

As I have mentioned many times before, I love quotes (ones that strike with wit) and love to note them. Have a file at home especially dedicated to quotes...

Few days back, I came across another interesting quote from The Devil's Dictionary, and it got me curious about the book. It is, as the name clearly suggests, styled as a dictionary and a devilish one at that.

Some gems:

ABSURDITY, n.
A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

CLAIRVOYANT, n.
A person, commonly a woman, who has the power of seeing that which is invisible to her patron, namely, that he is a blockhead.

DIAGNOSIS, n.
A physician's forecast of the disease by the patient's pulse and purse.

EGOTIST, n.
A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.

GENEROUS, adj.
Originally this word meant noble by birth and was rightly applied to a great multitude of persons. It now means noble by nature and is taking a bit of a rest.

NIRVANA, n.
In the Buddhist religion, a state of pleasurable annihilation awarded to the wise, particularly to those wise enough to understand it.

PAINTING, n.
The art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critic.

Look here for more of where these came from!