"I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know
I'm not dumb and I also know I'm not blonde." ~ Dolly Parton
I love Dolly Parton. I love that I share my birthday with her. I
do not know much about country music and mostly only familiar with the hugely
popular 'Jolene' and 'I will always you'... but what I love is less the music
and more the person. I have watched many of her interviews because it's hard
not to listen when she's talking. The thing that strikes me most is her mix of
wit and vulnerability, her openness, her honesty, her ability to not take
herself too seriously, her humility, her intelligence which people do not seem
to expect from the way she presents herself... in every interview where she's
asked about her appearance, her wigs, her makeup, getup etc, it's clear that
she sees them simply as her artistic tools, the things she has fun playing
with... in one interview she admits she might even look 'ridiculous'... said in
an honest self-deprecating, self-aware, and self-assured way... someone who
knows exactly who she is and who is real under all the glam... it's almost as
if other people do not know how to reconcile the image and reality, because
they are too lost in the surface, but one can tell that Dolly isn't. There's
another interview about her being asked if the Whitney Houston version of her
own song 'I will always love you' is a better rendition. And she doesn't even
blink before saying it of course is: Whitney took it to another level. That's
so disarming of her! Though she cannot resist the witty: 'she can take the
credit, I am taking the cash'! Love it! It's inspiring to hear her talk about
her childhood in the back of beyond, growing up poor, 12 siblings, religious upbringing,... It's as if
through all that fame and success, she kept in touch with the core of her...
protected her talent and her values in the thick of the world. Chose to be
herself right till the end. They don't make 'em like her anymore.
posted by Sylvia D'souza at 2:37 am
0 comments