To Be or Not To Be

A little kingdom I possess,
Where thoughts and feelings dwell;
And very hard the task I find
Of governing it well.
~ Louisa May Alcott

...that more or less describes my situation!

~A Wise Man Said~

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
~ Aristotle

Friday, September 11, 2026
 

Amid a hundred things I am trying to get done around this time, I decided I needed to get a new suitcase. It must be apparent to the newest reader of this blog, assuming there is one, that I like to hold onto my stuff for yea....rrs. I have one blue Samsonite fabric suitcase that's about roughly 21 years old, is huge, has two back old-style wheels, and despite being in immaculate condition, cannot be used. I used to store extra bedsheets, pillows and stuff like that in it until last year when I didn't have storage space. But now I do and I am still putting off disposing this suitcase. Another dark green Samsonite fabric is about 16 years old, has four old-style wheels which are a bit worn, and otherwise in good condition. A third hard case is a general brand of grey/brown colour, about 8ish years old, four old-style (by that I mean non-spinner) wheels which are pretty worn off, otherwise in good condition. I have been using my dark green Samsonite and grey/brown suitcase on my Big Travel (going to use BT as shorthand for upcoming travel across China/UAE/India). The trouble is that though they are in pristine condition inside, the wheels are starting to give me a hard time.

Seeing as the Samsonites have served long and well, I decided to get a new Samsonite. It's turned out to be one of those experiences where you actually want to stick with a brand and they do their darndest best to make sure you don't. I went for an online delivery after spending ages figuring out which one I wanted—if it was going to last me another 20 years, it made sense to? The delivery was to be made to my flat in 2-3 days but imagine my surprise when I get a text message saying it had arrived at some place in the town centre and could I come collect it? I don't know what anybody else would have done. This is where my logic works very differently I think. The way I see it, if I am paying way more for this brand and they have agreed to send the item to my home, that's where they should send it. I am not going to another place and dragging the suitcase to my home when that wasn't the deal. I called the Samsonite folks. They said they'll arrange to send it. They didn't seem to see a problem with the fact that it wasn't just delivered outright. No delivery for about another two weeks. I followed up again. And again was told it will be sent but no exact date. One random day they tried to deliver (so they said) but I wasn't there. Obviously, because the fact that they'll deliver that day was not communicated to me directly nor did the tracking system say this clearly. So the item got shipped back to the sender. To add to this, Samsonite initiated credit of the amount another week or so later after they actually received it. Though they knew it never came to me!

This was such a humungous waste of time for me. And I don't even have a new suitcase now. I have wondered if I should have just gone and got it from this town centre storage. I would at least have it. But then I feel wouldn't that just mean letting a brand profit even though they did not deliver their promise? I am now not keen to get a Samsonite... but that forces me to potentially buy something that might have to be replaced much sooner. I guess I'll probably just continue using the old ones instead of making a decision.

And that friends, is how I make my life harder than it needs to be :(