To Be or Not To Be

A little kingdom I possess,
Where thoughts and feelings dwell;
And very hard the task I find
Of governing it well.
~ Louisa May Alcott

...that more or less describes my situation!

~A Wise Man Said~

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
~ Aristotle

Monday, September 21, 2026
 

I have been invoking my completion of 10 years in the UK quite a bit in the last few blogs. The date is September 30 to be precise, when I complete it. This 10-year anniversary is perhaps even more significant to me because it coincides with when I became 'officially' settled in a sense. Though I was settled in many senses of the word even before this, I have to say there was still a psychologically unsettled feeling. Maybe a bit like living on rent vs. owning your house? The experience of the house is pretty much the same but if your landlord decides that you cannot stay any longer, that's it. It also makes a difference to the relationship you have with the house. Even if your landlord did not mind you making changes or renovations, chances are you wouldn't do it with the same enthusiasm or interest as you would if it were your own. It won't "feel" yours no matter how long you stayed because every year you could wonder if you were going to be around the next year or something might happen to push you out. This could go on for years but the temporary feeling might not go away.  I know some people prefer to live on rent as opposed to owning a house because they find it a freer way of being. You can move out quickly. But that's not me... I like to put down roots more than I like to fly, more an oak tree than butterfly ;)

I guess the point of all this is to say that I am happy to feel more settled in my skin finally.