I have a confession to make. I am crazy about cutlery. I am not
joking at all. Fancy looking cups and mugs, nicely curved spoons and forks,
delicate and cute jars, all shapes and sizes of vessels... I have a hankering
that just is. There is no rational explanation. Is there ever for
something/someone you love? It's a bit like a malady... if you have got it, you
have got it. Just that in this case, there's no cure. I have specific spoons
and forks for specific rituals. A spoon that must be, I don't even know how
old—perhaps around since when I was a child?—has this rather sharp contour. I
got it with me from India 10 years ago. That spoon came free with some
condiment or something at that time I think. The handle part of it is quite
short and has some pretty etchings too. It's my dessert/pudding spoon. I am
pretty sure no other spoon will give me the same experience. There was another
special spoon I got from India that got misplaced in one of the shared houses I
lived in over here. My second-best dessert spoon. To this day I feel sad
thinking about it. Someone will say, 'it's just a spoon'. Of course it is. But
it's more than that to me :(
A friend of mine smuggled a solo fork for me from somewhere.
Apparently when he looked at that fork, he knew instantly I would love it.
Until then if somebody had asked me how well he knows me, I would have said
maybe 60%. After looking at that fork, I am inclined to say 70%. It's the most
marvellous fork! Has this brassy gold colour. I already have a few golden forks
and spoons with dark green handles from China... but they are in-your-face
goldy gold. This fork is something else. Its golden is subtle. The edges are
sharp, clean, square-ish. Not rounded. The prongs of the fork too—I don't know
how to explain it? I am not good at this kind of description... They are not as
wide and rounded as regular forks. The whole fork has a rather slimmed down
shape, though it's nearly as long as the usual ones (not too long like some nor
too heavy). Full marks to this friend... hehe! I am looking forward to my pasta
this weekend... what with this gorgeous fork and all ;)
posted by Sylvia D'souza at 7:06 pm
0 comments