To Be or Not To Be

A little kingdom I possess,
Where thoughts and feelings dwell;
And very hard the task I find
Of governing it well.
~ Louisa May Alcott

...that more or less describes my situation!

~A Wise Man Said~

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
~ Aristotle

Wednesday, September 16, 2026
 

I have written many odes to the power of the logical argument and my love for it... in the last few blogs and over the last many years. Yet of late consciously and unconsciously I want to keep this love aside when I engage with older people whom I care about. They have one trump card that is the mother of all arguments. In Hindi we have a saying, "Sau sunar ki, ek luhar ki'. It roughly translates to, "A hundred blows from the goldsmith equal one blow from the blacksmith". My hundred arguments they can answer with just one: silence. Deathly, lethal, and the impact is nowhere anywhere near anything my arguments could make... I have become very afraid of the possibility of this response. What if this turns out to be the last time I ever speak to them? What if this turns out to be the last words that we ever exchanged...? What if they are at that stage in life where they'd rather have peace and not a lively argument? What if they choose to never talk to me again...? What if I never get the chance to say that I'd rather have them than arguments...? What if I never get to say...? Where would that leave me then...? What good would be my arguments then...?