To Be or Not To Be |
|
|
A little kingdom I possess, Where thoughts and feelings dwell; And very hard the task I find Of governing it well. ~ Louisa May Alcott ...that more or less describes my situation!
~A Wise Man Said~ It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle
~Follow Me~ @sylverplait
Email
~Archives~
December 2001 January 2002 February 2002 March 2002 April 2002 May 2002 June 2002 July 2002 August 2002 September 2002 October 2002 November 2002 December 2002 January 2003 February 2003 March 2003 April 2003 May 2003 June 2003 July 2003 August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003 December 2003 January 2004 February 2004 March 2004 April 2004 May 2004 June 2004 July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 July 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 August 2007 October 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 January 2010 February 2010 April 2010 June 2010 September 2010 October 2010 December 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011 July 2011 September 2011 October 2011 January 2012 February 2012 March 2012 April 2012 June 2012 July 2012 August 2012 October 2012 November 2012 December 2012 January 2013 April 2013 May 2013 July 2013 October 2013 December 2013 January 2014 February 2014 April 2014 May 2014 July 2014 September 2014 October 2014 November 2014 December 2014 January 2015 March 2015 May 2015 June 2015 July 2015 August 2015 September 2015 October 2015 December 2015 March 2016 June 2016 August 2016 October 2016 November 2016 December 2016 January 2017 February 2017 April 2017 May 2017 June 2017 October 2017 December 2017 January 2018 March 2018 April 2018 June 2018 October 2018 November 2018 December 2018 January 2019 March 2019 April 2019 May 2019 June 2019 July 2019 August 2019 September 2019 October 2019 November 2019 December 2019 January 2020 February 2020 March 2020 April 2020 May 2020 June 2020 July 2020 August 2020 September 2020 October 2020 November 2020 December 2020 January 2021 February 2021 March 2021 April 2021 May 2021 June 2021 July 2021 August 2021 September 2021 October 2021 November 2021 December 2021 January 2022 February 2022 March 2022 April 2022 May 2022 June 2022 July 2022 August 2022 September 2022 October 2022 November 2022 December 2022 January 2023 February 2023 March 2023 April 2023 May 2023 June 2023 July 2023 August 2023 September 2023 October 2023 November 2023 December 2023 January 2024 February 2024 March 2024 April 2024 May 2024 June 2024 July 2024 August 2024 September 2024 October 2024 November 2024 December 2024 January 2025 February 2025 March 2025 April 2025 May 2025 June 2025 July 2025 August 2025 September 2025 October 2025 November 2025 December 2025 January 2026 February 2026 March 2026 April 2026 May 2026 June 2026 July 2026 August 2026 September 2026 October 2026 |
Monday, October 05, 2026
I have arrived all in one piece after all :) People say worrying is sort of like making yourself suffer twice.
Perhaps depends on the type of worrying? One is where you worry about something
with no intent to do anything. Almost as an excuse or avoidance of actual
activity. A bit like complaining. There's the bad kind where complaining is an
end in itself. There is also the good kind that points out what's wrong as a
starting point for a solution. Not to indefinitely wallow in it. I started thinking about this difference because in a very
concrete instance my 'worrying' led me in a positive direction. It generally
does but in this instance the evidence was stark. At Manchester airport, I was
asked if I want to get my checked-in bags in Beijing or directly at my final
destination in China. I have travelled about three times to this destination so
far and every time I was told I had to get my bags in Beijing and then check
them in again. I was never given an option. But this was the first time I was
travelling by a Chinese airline and even though it wasn't the same Chinese
airline as my connecting one, the situation was different enough for options to
be different. However, I was obviously 'worried' so I double/triple checked
this information and each time the official told me the same thing. On the
flight I couldn't let go of my worries. My mind refused to settle. A part of me
was mad at myself for worrying in spite of official information that should be
accurate. When I landed in Beijing and saw the baggage carousel, I had the urge
to enquire again. That was quite difficult because of the thick language barrier.
To my surprise and not-surprise in a way, it turned out I absolutely had to get
my bags off in Beijing. What followed was 3-4 hours’ madness because my bags
did not turn up with all the other luggage and the airport officers had to get
hold of the airline folks to locate my bags. Which they did finally in some
transfer hold! When I got to a different terminal much later in the day to check
in the same bags again for the domestic flight, the counter official seemed
confused. She asked if I had two more bags because the system showed two
checked-in bags. I explained the whole story to her. When the matter got
resolved, the big question on my mind was: Would it have been okay if I had
never taken out my bags at this airport? Would they have gone to the domestic
airport anyway? Did my worry actually create this hullabaloo? She said no, there
was no way they would have been sent through. I was supposed to take them through
Customs at Beijing. That in a rather odd way was good to hear. It meant that my
worry actually saved the day! In a way I think what I am calling ‘worry’ is a niggling
intuition that is trying to warn me of something, not in a magical way, but
based on subconscious processing of past and present patterns of data. My
distrust of authoritative information is also helpful because my intuition does
not blindly accept such information. For all that I have to say that people who do not incessantly 'worry'
(or process data constantly intuitively) may get into predictable difficulties
or face negative outcomes more often but they probably live an easier or
happier life. In my case I might predict where things are headed and avoid foreseeable
bumps maybe, but at a huge ongoing cost... --- 'Death arrives; it would be a thing to dread, if it could remain
with you. But death must either not come at all, or else must come and pass
away.' ~ The Epistles of Seneca, Epistle IV |